Friday, June 17, 2016

STATUE or ILLUSION? (from Oct 2014)

Look twice, or you might miss him! 

Robert Seymour is a talented illusionist who has been performing for more than 42 years.  But you might miss him.  Most of the time, Seymour fits into his surroundings, portraying statues of gods or men. 

 He recently portrayed the Angel Gabriel at Oakland Cemetery’s Sunday in the Park event.

“When I was eleven, my Mom showed me a talented pantomime on television. It was Marcel Marceau,” says Bob.  “I was very interested in this type of entertainment, so I would practice along with the television. I was also influenced by mimes Shields and Yarnell.”

Bob later met his idol, Marcel Marceau, and got the autograph. 

“It’s not easy, being a statue!  I first study the look of a statue. I take great notice of detail and texture of the skin and costume, “Bob says.  I attempt to stay congruent with the entire ‘look’ of the statue.”

Seymour explains that the make-up only takes 20 minutes, but creating the costume for the character can take months.  He’s played soldiers, cowboys, the Madd Hatter, Santa Claus, and even Beethoven.
       
“One time, I was portraying ‘Paul Revere’ at a Kroger store in Mid Town. I was positioned at the front door by a rolling cooler. This gentleman came by and stopped to have a look at what was in the cooler. I greeted him, and it scared him so badly he screamed, dropped his basket and walked-out the door.”

Atlantans invite Bob to parties, where many people are unaware that he’s a real.  “If they think I’m a statue, I’ve done my homework,” says Seymour. “…It’s an illusion.”

---Ray Macon


 

No comments:

Post a Comment