Tuesday, June 21, 2016


FROM ATLANTA HULKSTER TO AMERICAN NINJA (1/10/15)

     In ancient Babylonia the famous Jewish leader Hillel the Elder said "If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, then what am I? And if not now, when?"
     Yes, they're separated by the ages but Hillel and Atlanta's John Paul Michalik would have been best friends.  Michalik was born in the Bronx, moving to Atlanta in 1994 to attend Georgia Tech.  He graduated in 1999 with a degree in Electrical Engineering and Industrial Design.
     Since then, Michalik has designed bars, restaurants and exhibition spaces in Manhattan.  He also designs booths for large trade shows and conventions. 

      "I've been in Atlanta for more than 20 years...I'm not going to get angry, I'm going to go by the book," he said.   In fact, Michalik has appeared more than 30 times on local news stations as a community whistle blower.  "There are thousands of laws to protect people, and I see laws being broken.  I'm going to do something."
     Michalik started wearing a video camera and has recorded all kinds of law breaking...from public urination to taggers to people doing things they shouldn't.  Along with the tapes came the ire of Atlanta's officials. 

     Call him the Vanguard of the Old 4th Ward, call him a nuisance, call him Brother?.

     If the name J.P. Michalik is familiar to you it's because he ran for a city council seat in 2013 under the muse of Hulk Hogan(add trademark) . He did a lot of waving at traffic while wearing the famous yellow pants and trademarked handlebar 'stash.  He inspired people.  Someone put him on Youtube(add trademark). 

     "Hulk Hogan(add trademark) always said 'Be true to yourself'.'  I ran for city council because I was frustrated with laws I saw being passed which---to me---were one-sided," said Michalik.  "I didn't have a lot of money, and had to be creative.   But most of the people who run are doing it because---like me---they love Atlanta."

    Michalik didn't win.  He says it is shameful that so many people do not vote these days.  "It was a good thing I was wearing sunglasses when I portrayed 'The Hulkster'.  People said so many great things to me.  They supported my ideals.  Those shades hid my tears." 
    

     Since that time, Michalik has sold his car, paid-off his mortgage, and has taken some major time off to re-think his campaign.
     Huh?  Michalik says he might run again.  He still has a lot of support in his community.
    Until then, he's been on two seasons of American Ninja Warrior(add trademark) and acted for Game of Thrones
(add trademark).  "I structure my work so that I have adequate time to pursue my other interests," he said, "...my community."

     He's bicycled France, pedaled from Los Angeles to Las Vegas, Sydney to Brisbane, and last summer biked 4,000 miles; meandering from Seattle to Los Angeles while enjoying the vistas of Pacific Coastal Highway.  Next season he's hoping to be on AMJ again.
     "The reason why I moved to Atlanta from New York is because one can change the environment here," Michalik said  "My goal is to get that 85% of voters to come out to any election and vote."
---Ray Macon

No comments:

Post a Comment