Friday, June 24, 2016

Profile: Graphic Comic Artist Griffis King

COMING SOON: ATLANTA, THE COMIC BOOK     (7/8/15)

     He arrived in Atlanta with a dream and thirty dollars.

     Griffis King, a designer and trainer of some of Atlanta’s finest athletes; has been working on a book about ‘…making it in the big city.’ Well, making it any place if you have a dream.

     “I am writing and illustrating a graphic novel,” said King. “It follows the adventures of a boy and his companion throughout a fantastic world. His ultimate goal is to make a claim and a name for himself, becoming happy and strong.”

     King is called ‘Griff’ by his friends at the gym. One glance and you assume by the muscles that he is a fitness trainer. But you might not know the story behind his comic.

     Griff came to Atlanta years ago from South Carolina.

     “I had been struggling with many jobs, trying to make myself adhere,” said Griff. “It affected my happiness along the way.  I felt as though I was a square peg trying to fit into a triangular hole. It just wasn't working.”

     Griff knew he had to make a change and follow his passion for design. He began making small amounts of money on illustrations. After a while, more projects came his way.

     “It was that spark that propelled me into what I am doing now,” said Griff. “I quickly found that my degree in design held a lot of components that could easily be used in any artistic capacity.”

     As for his Atlanta experience, the novel synopsis does sound parallel. 

     “The novel loosely ties into my own story,” said Griff. “The characters brave the wilds of the new world, and are thrust into a whirlwind of fetes of strength. There is magic, beasts, and dark forces.   The characters meet some strange and wonderful people along the way!”

     If you have a dream, Griff has some great tips. “I really buckled down and got serious. That seriousness paid off, “Griff said. “My work snowballed into bigger and better projects. I am a happy man, now-a- days, doing something that I really enjoy.”

     To inquire about the graphic novel, contact Griff at this email: gwillking@gmail.com

-- -Ray Macon

Griff King on stage as a military force all by himself. 
(Photo courtesy http://www.projectq.us/)

No comments:

Post a Comment