Tuesday, June 21, 2016


BOOMER BERG REFUSES TO RETIRE (1/10/15)

     Ruth Nikola Berg never retired. 
     "When Mr. Lewis asked me what talent I had to offer, I told him I could work a room like nobody's business."

     Having worked rooms for Congressman John Lewis of the 5th District for 24 years, Berg suddenly decided to pursue other interests in 2007.  Her (cough) "retirement" party has lasted another 8 years.
     As loyal aid to Lewis, Berg also assisted major clients, constituents, and celebrities in reaching the famous congressman.  She was the founder of the Atlanta Multicultural Festival. People were known to move and shake when she picked-up the phone.  As fun as the job was---Berg knew it was time for her to change.
     "Young people, just out of colleges...I understand them.  They really feel that they can make changes, and I understand this because they move on to something better and they seem to do this until they find a job that they love very much, " said Berg. 

     "Even then---they move ahead.  It says a lot about the generation.  A realization that you should keep moving ahead, if that is what you chose.  For some---it's about money, lately, it's about personal choice."

Berg tried a few other things after politics, before returning to her love for acting, and helping others.  She's auditioning for upcoming shows.  "If you're really shy and quiet, it's not going to get you through any auditions," she said."Give 'em a lot of personality from the moment you arrive."

     Because a lady never reveals her age, let's assume that Berg is of 'the retirement age'.  After all, she claims boomers as her Buckhead friends.

     Born as a Christmas Eve baby, the Passaic baby 'Jersey girl' was the original tag-along little sister who begged her older sis for chances at the fringe of any party or show.  "I just wanted to be involved, go to any social event, " said Berg.

     "I was raised by parents who were very open minded.  My dad was a drummer," said Berg.  They went to New York every weekend to hear jazz.   "My parents were the only white people in the audience, but they loved Harlem, and never missed Louis Armstrong."

    The Bergs even heard Paul Whiteman conduct the original 'Rhapsody in Blue'. The song became a major hit for Radioland.  "Life is colorblind, so---that's how we were raised by my parents, I'm so lucky." said Berg.

   After college, she got a job in New York for a Scandinavian travel agency.  "There, I met a lot of people, I worked in NY and I met a lot of Europeans."  Ruth Berg smiled.  "Every Sunday I would bring a few people home to my parents, who were already windows to the world. They made my travelers feel at home."

     Later,  Berg worked at the United Nations with the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.  Before moving back to Atlanta, she made multiple international friends and contacts.  And it gave her something to bring to John Lewis---experience. 

     Beyond a big profile job, there are other issues for Berg.  Today, she's heavily involved with
http:// www.Hadassah.org, an organization that provides non-discriminatory healthcare to people in the Middle East.

"Don't sit on the back row.," said Berg.  "When you go to movies, when you go to theater...sit up front.  It's the same in Life.  If you want to sit in the back---that's your choice.  But I know that I've been sitting at the front desk since I was 16, and I've had the honor to be the welcoming ambassador my entire life."


---Ray Macon

No comments:

Post a Comment