Thursday, June 23, 2016

HOST AN EXCHANGE STUDENT

     They say the best way to really get to know a country is to meet its people.  Each year thousands of American high schoolers leave home to do just that: meet people.  These pursuits take them to faraway places where education comes from exposure to a foreign place. 
     But hundreds also come here to Atlanta to study.   

     "I have thoroughly enjoyed the experiences," said Host Mom Katrina Green of Atlanta.  "I recommend it to every family."    Green has hosted students from Germany, Japan, Switzerland, Australia and Thailand.  "Last year I had 5 students," Green laughs. 

     Brage, a high school student from Norway, traveled 4,500 miles to study in Springville, Alabama.   His host family made his exchange year a life-changing experience.  "I liked when we all sat around the table for dinner," said Brage.   
 
     This gave him an opportunity to be a role model, big brother, and best friend.  "They will always be my family in America."

     One of the best, Education First (E.F.) Exchange Programs is also one of the best connected.  With 450 offices in 50 countries, EFEP is on a mission: "...to break down barriers in language, culture, and geography".  
 
     The program uses coordinators like Katrina Green to insure that the students have a safe, rewarding experience in the USA. 

     In fact, EFEP has helped millions of young people to become citizens of the world.  They do this by clearing the details so students are never really far from home. 

     Sophia and Jenith, from Taiwan,  were placed to study in Lincoln, Nebraska.  "I am so lucky to attend prom, and share this with Sophia," said Jenith.  "I could never have imagined I would learn so much, and have so much fun." 
     Although one of the favorite things the girl learned was 'how to unwind'.  "At the end of the day my host mom would make us popcorn and we would all sit around the television and watch movies," said Jenith.
   Shirley, from Thailand, studied in Atlanta, and fell in love with it. "I will be coming back to Atlanta after her program ends," she said. "I really love this city."   

    As for Green, education has literally arrived at her doorstep.  "I love being a coordinator, and I monitor the exchange students for any issues.  They teach me so much, and I am better because of knowing them." 
     To get started in the Exchange year process, follow this link: EFExchangeYear.org

---Ray Macon



No comments:

Post a Comment