Tuesday, June 21, 2016


SIGN SPINNER HAPPIEST GUY in MIDTOWN
     He's watchable.  He's part comic, part dancer.  He's spinning a sign at you while you wait on the light turn from red to green. 
     Hometown News Atlanta recently caught up with Nick Puckett on Amsterdam and Monroe Streets in Midtown.   On that day, Nick was spinning for one of our advertisers, Urban Body Fitness & Studio.    Ironically, this is where Nick totaled his car a couple years ago. 
     "That was a rough time for me," said Nick. "I had to re-create myself.  I was lucky."
   
     Since then, he's gained a reputation as one of the most entertaining people in Midtown, spinning for Domino's Pizza (add trademark), dressing as Lady Liberty for Liberty Tax Service and dancing with a sign for T-Mobile (add trademark) and Urban Body Fitness.  He's also worked at the Atlanta Falcons games as a FORD (add trademark) Fan Finder.

    "People's reactions have been overwhelmingly good," said Nick.  "Some give me small tips, saying that I made their day better.  Women shout out 'Are you single?', 'I love you' and some even wave, forming a heart shape with their hands."

Some have said that Nick has an incredible viewpoint about life. "It may just be that my sole purpose on this planet is to make others happy," he said. 

     Georgian by birth, Nick makes a lot of money spinning for businesses in the Midtown area.  He admits the job isn't for everyone: "...I've trained 200 people, and of that only 5 people really had the requirements for the job."

     That includes being enthusiastic about the product.  He says that he listens to a lot of old Michael Jackson music, so that when he spins, he's also dancing and getting a good aerobic workout.
     "I see a person drive by...probably wealthy who would never do my job, "  Nick is quick to point to one of the best benefits of being a sign spinner.  "They have big things, big problems, and a lot of them look unhappy.  But then---they look over at me, and I get the chance to make them smile.  This is what Life is all about."
-----Ray Macon

No comments:

Post a Comment